A cookie is a small text file that is stored in your browser when you visit our website in order to collect information, to use it for purposes that differ depending on the type of cookie in question. Typically, cookies are divided into 4 types: technical, personalization, statistics and advertising.
- Technical cookies are those that allow you to use certain options or services on the website. These cookies allow, for example, to identify your Internet session (to synchronize sessions open in different browser windows), to verify if you have privileges to access possible restricted areas of the website, to remember the status of a shopping cart (to be able to recover it if the Internet session is broken), manage a payment, etc.
- Preference or personalization cookies allow the website to remember information that personalizes aspects of the website’s presentation to each specific visitor. As an example, the preferred language of each visitor is usually remembered, to present each page of the website in that language.
- Analysis, statistics or measurement cookies are those that allow us to understand how visitors interact with the pages of the website and thus carry out analyzes that allow the optimization of the services that said website provides to visitors. As an example, it is usually remembered if the visitor is new or has already accessed the website on other occasions, which pages they visit, and how long they stay on each one (the degree of interest of each page).
- Lastly, marketing or behavioral advertising cookies store information on the behavior of visitors obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display relevant and attractive ads for the visitor (personalized). , and therefore more valuable to both him and advertisers.
Another way to classify cookies is to divide them into essential and non-essential:
- Essential cookies, generally of a technical or personalization type, are so called because they are necessary for the website to function properly, and will be automatically downloaded to your browser when you visit the website.
- Non-essential cookies, by contrast, are those that help maintain the website and the services it offers, but are not strictly necessary for its proper functioning. This is the case of all analysis cookies and behavioral advertising. Non-essential cookies cannot be downloaded to your browser without your prior consent, which is why they are requested through the “cookie drop-down” that usually appears at the bottom of your browser when you visit a website.